Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Cat Lady

Hello Friends,

So I pretty much abandoned this blog a couple months ago because life got in the way, however I'm using it tonight to tell you a story that's sad, but hopeful.

Around two weeks ago I started noticing a gray cat frequenting my alley at night. He or she was really sweet and I started feeding it because I have a soft spot for cats - you're shocked, I know.

I named him/her Alley because I'm just that creative at night. Here's a picture of the little dude or dudette.


I fed him or her for a couple nights and then one night it brought around brothers and sisters - two of them. It was then I realized I had a situation on my hands.

Turns out, the man who lived across the street from us was feeding and allowing a number of cats (6) to come into his home. He decided to move out and left all the cats behind, but they are still able to enter the house through a crack in the foundation. His house is now scheduled to be demolished in January. Once this happens these guys won't have any shelter and will most likely freeze to death.

When I found this out I started an effort to trap and house the cats. My neighbors have been amazing with their help and support, but unfortunately no shelter will take in cats who have lived on the street for as short a period of time as 6 months - which is how old (I believe) the younger ones are based one their size compared to the size my own cats were at the time.

My neighbor and I trapped two of the cats last Sunday and they were fixed, vaccinated for rabies/distemper, given flea medication and tested negative for feline leukemia. They are now living in the bathroom of a neighbor who is very sweet, but is at capacity for the number of cats she can take in. Here's a picture of those two:




There are still cats who live in that house, need to be caught and at the very least fixed so this doesn't continue to be a problem.

This is something I can do, but it's going to take money as there are no clinics that will fix and give medical attention to the cats for free. Ideally I'd like to get them in homes temporarily or accepted into an existing cat colony permanently, but this will also require money for food/supplies for whomever agrees to help.

If you are willing to donate even $5, I would be forever grateful. Here is my donation site - http://www.giveforward.com/helpforstraycats

I'm looking to raise as much money as I can to make sure these cats don't get killed or injured during demolition. I have a number of ideas to help them moving forward, but right now I just need help with getting them fixed and housed in the meantime.

Thank you so much for anything you can donate. If you have questions or would like more information feel free to email me - LindsMOlsen@gmail.com

--Lindsey



No comments:

Post a Comment